Dominica's Red Beans Soup
Follow this is a simple dumbway, pois and gel coshion recipe to prepare a hearty red beans soup.
- 2 lbs Smoked pork (boiled) You can use any salted meat
- 1 gallon Water You'll need to use 1½ for the dumpling
- 1 lbs Kidney beans (boiled) Boil the kidney beans with some garlic and oil. You can also use can beans.
- 24 mixed Dumplings See dumpling recipe below.
- 2 whole Plantains You can use potatoes, and other provisions
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- I tbsp Garlic (crushed) You can use garlic powder
- 1½ tbsp Turmeric
- 4 sprigs Thyme You van also use parsley, and scallions
- 1 large Onion
- 1 tbsp Salt You may not need to add salt, since the smoked pork has salt.
Add 1 gallon of water to a large pot
Bring to boil.
Add beans and let it simmer for 20 minutes. This allows it to soften up a bit more and release more of the red natural colors.
Add all ingredients except the plantain and meat and allow it to boil for another 15 minutes. Adding the plantains and meat too early may cause them to over cook.
Add the plantains and stir a bit. If the soup is too thick you may add a water as needed.
Continue to boil for another 25 minutes.