Dominica’s National dish is the mountain chicken. Mountain chicken isn’t chicken but instead derives its name from the crapaud’s (frog in creole) legs, which tastes like chicken. Crapaud is often found within the interior of the island and at high altitude. Since it’s a protected species, hunting season for the crapaud is between September to February.
I left Dominica as a teenager and didn’t indulge in mountain chicken as my adventurous palate hadn’t fully developed, and this national dish was more popular among tourists and adults. Since moving abroad, my palate has expanded, and my most recent encounter with mountain chicken abroad was last November. My family and I have come to developed a love for it, since it’s locally available. We prepare it fried with batter and jerked.
My kids especially love the jerk mountain chicken, how we prepare jerk chicken for the grill. I usually toss it in a pan with some jerk sauce for just 2 minutes. Then transfer them to the grill for about 10 minutes. This process makes them juicier and more flavorful.
Here’s my jerk frog legs recipeJump to Video
Jerk Frog Legs Recipe
- Barbecue grill
- Frying pan
- mixing bowl
- 2 lbs frog legs From your seafood market, or specialty market
- 3 tbsp jerk sauce Use the paste, and based on your spice tolerance. Cut jerk sauce in half
- 2 tbsp paprika divided in half
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- salt based on your tolerance
- tbsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- ½ cup olive oil divided in half
- 3 branches thyme chopped
- ½ lemon
- Mango habanero BBQ sauce I used William Sonoma
- Wash frog legs thoroughly with lemon
- Dry legs and place them in a large bowl
- Add all other ingredients except oil
- Marinate for 30 minutes
- Heat ¼ oil in a frying pan
- Add frog legs to pan for one minute on each side. Legs cook very quickly and could become fragile and dry.
- Remove from pan
- Created a wet rub with the other part of olive oil, paprika and jerk sauce
- Heat up grill to high temperature
- Place frog legs on grill
- Using a silicon brush, generously brush wet rub on legs
- Turn legs over with a tong after about 5 minutes, and brush rub on other side
- Remove from grill after a total of 10-12 minutes
- Enjoy with your favorite sauce. I used Mango Habanero from William Sonoma
You videos are always so easy to follow. But not me with the frog. Will definitely need to substitute with chicken 🐔. I cannot qith the frog legs🤦🏽♀️🥺
Hey dear, thanks for your wonderful feedback. Chicken wings would be ideal. Just keep in in a bit longer than two minutes on the stove top, in the frying pan. No need for a wet rub, just rub the chicken with the jerk sauce. Also, you can put it right in the oven, instead of a grill. Enjoy!